Day in the Life : May 13, 2014

When I decided to do a “day in the life” post, I didn’t want to stage a perfect day — like, look at me, I’m so awesome and virtuous. So, I randomly selected a few days (May 13, June 26, August 4, September 26, November 3, and December 10), and decided not to do anything completely out of the ordinary. What follows is a true version of what happened last Tuesday, May 13.


4:45 AM – Alarm goes off. Commence “do I really want to go to spin class thoughts?”


4:50 AM – Drag myself out of bed, throw on exercise clothes, and make the pre-workout breakfast of champions: 32 ounces of caffeine-infused Cherry Limeade Nuun and a rice cake with crunchy peanut butter


5:02 AM – wake up Taffy. GF is definitely unhappy with me for this early wake-up call, if you can’t tell by this picture. Take her out. She immediately jumps back on the bed to sleep as I get my stuff together.

5:10 AM – in the car, headed to LA Fitness. I am always surprised by the fact that there is traffic this early in the morning.


5:27 AM – arrive at gym, sign into pain class — yes, that was an iPhone autocorrect. Take pre-workout selfie in the gym bathroom mirror.

5:45 – 6:30 AM – Spin class

I was able to ride 4 miles in the 11 minutes before class started while playing on snapchat and twitter (the internet is so quiet that time of day!). I left class after 45 minutes so I could get home to shower.  I rode 16.6 miles in 44 minutes, taking my total to a little over 20. Not too shabby before the sun has risen! This was my first time to take class with this teacher, and to be honest, I was not impressed. She didn’t have very much energy, and she wasn’t at all enthusiastic. The class was really focused on climbing, too, with very slow music, and riding slowly that early in the morning just makes me want to go back to sleep. I feel like if you’re going to be the crack-of-dawn teacher, you need to have much more personality than this girl did. Anyway, I’m glad I went just so I know that I don’t need to make the effort again.


6:51 AM – Arrive back at home, hop in the shower. Commence getting ready.

7:01 – 7:40 AM- Out of the shower, making breakfast, drying hair, getting dressed, packing lunch.


7:41 AM – Leave home, head towards the office! Taffy is not quite ready to start the day.

7:43 AM – Audibly curse as I realize that I left my coffee on the kitchen counter. Thank goodness there is a Starbucks on the way to work.

7:45 AM – Shit. My gas light just came on, and my wallet is on the kitchen counter next to my coffee. Good job, Elizabeth.

7:47 AM – Morning gets even better when I spot the wreck on my morning commute. So far, today is not so awesome.


8:01 AM – Arrive at the office. Get started with my exciting day of reading policy papers about the Global Fund.


8:40 AM – Heat up breakfast in the break room – standard frittata, made this week with kale, mushrooms, and onions + 2 slices of TJ’s brand ezekiel toast with butter. Yum.


9:10 AM – So, I sit in a cubicle (low man on the government totem pole FTW), and as a consequence, I can hear pretty much every phone call going on around me. One of my coworkers has just been assigned a detail in Botswana; he and his family are moving there for 2 years. He’s spent the last four work days on the phone negotiating the move, and as he almost loses it with the travel coordinator right about now, I’m relieved that I won’t be considered for an international posting.


9:30 AM – Bathroom break. Take outfit selfie because duh.


10:45 – GD 1980s copy machine. Paper jam, paper jam, paper jam.


11:00 AM – Take an early lunch break to head home and walk Taffmonster. As always, contemplate just not going back to work and hanging out with her all day. On the way home, stop and get gas using $10 in change I scrounged up from my work bag/desk.

11:41 AM – Get back to the office.


11:55 AM – Make a pre-lunch snack of a rice cake and almond butter. Switching it up so much around here. I started eating rice cakes during the cleanse, and they have stayed in the meal/snack time rotation.


12:14 PM – One of the executive assistants that sits near me asks, in all seriousness, “Is Bangkok a country?” When I tell her that it is not, it is merely the capital of Thailand, she doesn’t believe me and has me do the Google to prove I’m right. I send snapchat commemorating this occasion.


1:34 PM – Start eating lunch, which is this salad from Cookie and Kate. Absolutely love it, and it is incredibly filling because I added lentils to it. I felt like it needed some sort of protein source if it was going to be a full meal.

1:44 PM – Take a quick break because Sudie sends me her newest blog post. She and I are both running the Peachtree and have big plans to do the Princess Half in Disney World, so I loved to see her training plan. GF is already way faster than me!

2:30 PM – Finish eating lunch.

2:37 PM –  Bathroom break, with an unapologetic glance into the break room to see if anyone has brought treats. Sadly, no one has. Yesterday, there was a retirement party and snacks on snacks on snacks.


2:50 PM –  This Jamie Lynn Spears song plays on iTunes Radio. She still sings? Why do I like it so much?

4:03 PM –  Finish reading policy paper number 1, leave the office in an attempt to beat rush hour traffic. It actually isn’t too bad today.

4:22 PM – Get home!


4:30 PM – 5:07 PM – Taffy’s daily long walk around the hood. It is nice for both of us to spend this time outside.

Once we get home, I checked my work email, started reading another policy paper while prepping dinner (this was the planned meal), have a snack, and play some fetch with Taffy inside. I’m such an awesome multi-tasker.


5:50 PM – Leave home for a Junior League Fund Development Council meeting – my first as Shamrock ‘N Roll chair-elect!

5:56 PM – Regret not bringing my sunglasses for the car ride. Why is it so glarey? Is glarey a word? Is that how you spell it?

6:45 PM – arrive at JLA headquarters. Traffic. It’s the worst.


7:00 PM – 9:00 PM – Fund Development Council meeting, which only ran over 45 minutes. Luckily, I like these ladies, so I didn’t mind.

9:10 PM – Spur of the moment decision to continue the wine drinking with dinner at Local Three, conveniently located down the street from JLA HQ. I didn’t eat much at the meeting because I was planning to go home and make dinner, but at this point, I decided to throw the original plan out the window and go hang out with people. I have such FOMO in these situations. At Local Three, I ordered an appetizer – the “Redneck Refry,” which was field pea dip covered with cheese and served with potato chips. Bomb, and so not the healthy dinner I had planned. Whoops.

10:45 PM – Leave Local Three

11:10 PM – Get home, immediately feel like an asshole because I didn’t give Taffy her medication before I left. Walk her, then let her cuddle on the bed while I get ready for bed/attempt to get my life in order for the next morning.

11:36 PM – Get in bed, start reading Fault in Our Stars, trying to make it to 12:15 for the “appropriate” bedtime. I recently started using, based on this recommendation from Katie at Honeystuck, and I really can tell a difference. So, I needed to wake up the next morning at 6:15 so I could run before work, and it backed me up to a 12:15 bedtime.

Screen Shot 2014-05-20 at 9.39.49 PM

11:45 PM – Oh god, why did you do that, John Green?

12:03 PM – Taffy goes in her crate, lights off, Parks and Rec turned on for some “going to sleep” entertainment. I think I fell asleep about 2 minutes into the episode.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s